5 Reasons I Became a Teacher

First, I would like to say welcome to my teaching blog. I have tried to blog for several years now, but my schedule was always hectic. I figure I may as well just share what I have with the world now. Teaching is such a difficult profession. There is a lot in the media and preconceived ideas about teaching like how much we make and how we are at fault for many things. I hope my view into the teaching world can educate, motivate, and create appreciation for my chose professions.

Next, who am I? Well, my name is Shanita. You can call me Nita, everyone else does. I am happy to make your acquaintance. I am a teacher in Northwestern Louisiana. I have taught Kindergarten, second grade, third grade, and middle school. I actually prefer middle school, but I currently teach in elementary.

Here are 5 truthful reasons I became a teacher.

1. I was fresh out of college with a biology degree and it was hard to get a job with what I wanted to do. I felt that dental school was out for me, since I had a daughter and no financial support. I was not mentally ready for that challenge. So, I decided I would be a substitute teacher until I found a job-job!

2. I had a daughter and a fiance. We had just moved to a new city in Southern Louisiana, and I did not want or could afford a babysitter. I needed to be off when she was out of school. I didn't even have a job at first, but I knew that I needed to contribute to the household, because my fiance was a full-time student and employee.

3. Once I began substitute teaching, I absolutely enjoyed managing a classroom. I loved the kids. I loved the schedule. I was teaching a lesson on the letter m to preschool aged students, and that is when it hit me. I can actually influence students to be a better version of themselves. I worked with students who had special needs and "regular" students. They seemed to adore me and respect me as a person in charge. Plus, I did not work well with other adults. I was introverted and preferred not to converse whether cordially or not. This leads me to reason 4.

4. It allowed me to set goals for myself and my students./ I was never really a goal setter but heard about it. Once I became a teacher teacher, I was able to appreciate goal setting and apply it to my life. What a great revelation that was. I set many goals after that and have succeeded because of that.

And finally my professional reason.

5. I wanted to be able to use my degree to help others. At first, yes I wanted to be a dentist, scientist, or a surgical technician (I will save that topic for another story), but teaching gave me a sense of accomplishment. I am educating the future. I am helping to make the future a better place. I am making someone's life better. I am doing something important.

I hope this helps someone figure out their reasons why. If you have reasons and would like to share your why, please leave me a comment below. I would love to hear from you.

Comments